Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Site_2_Dimensional Map_Initial Investigations

Initial Investigations - Dimensional Map

Again, the idea of reflection and shadow came up as something I wanted to experiment with, but this time in a sort of 'removed' fashion.... I wanted to start with a 3dimensional 'architectural rendering' of the Brisbane River... the materials were initially architects board/foam board, pins, thread, wire and electrical tape.

My influences are James Coburn, Louise Forthun, Mark Datodi and Diana Thater for this exercise.

I visited the NASA website and found mapped data for the 2011 floods @ 4.25m (roughly what it reached) and used my photographs of blocks of apartments - mostly the apartments that were affected - and created the 'data' I found of the flood and information found in a white paper of 'The Aesthetics of living on the Brisbane River'...

I intend to experiment with projection to map the nature, interventions, contradictions etc., keeping with the theme of exercise 1.

Site_2_Linear Map

There will always be the 'conflict' between the human vs. nature element of our modern environments.

SITE - Create a Linear Map
Explore the River's history as a linear map: I worked with glass, biodegradable paints, liquid chalk, transfer stencils, permanent markers, and twine.... and where possible light, reflection and shadows.

Intention – to represent the river not as a singularly dimensional site , but as an ever changing environment with line and form. I didn't want to focus purely on the geographical aspects of the river as much as the experiences of the river, where each moment suggests a new or changed part of the river's existence. For this reason, I did each piece as an installation.

Again, the transformation (change over time) was digitally recorded.

Material and Conceptual Investigations_9

My intention was to explore materiality and how my experiences of the Brisbane River changed over time.

I visited my site each weekend over a five week period, from the week of the 2011 January floods until now. Each visit resulted in different outcomes, depending on what information I had involved myself in that week, or issues I'd encountered at or around the site over the five week period.

My intention with these photographs was to plot a site - the Brisbane River - and to photograph changes in the river's edges, textures, shadows and tides over time.

I also took this opportunity to explore concepts of 'materiality/non-physical' materiality, experimenting with techniques and methods of getting across the concept of man vs. nature... mostly the nature of nature. Nature is continuous, no matter what man made 'intervention' is constructed in its path.

Over the five weeks, I experimented with projections, digital capturing of experiences and natural change, as well as sewing, gathering/assemblage, installations and poetry.

 - Mary Burns Bnsbane: whither art thou? - - The Discovery of the Brisbane River.
John Oxley's Missing Journal of 1823. - When WooUoongabba was Wattle- Scented. BY CHAS. MELTON. 1918
Linking Heritage – Up, Down and Around the Brisbane River (A Contextual History) by Dr Rod Fisher (Consultant Historial) June 2007

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Material and Conceptual Investigations_8

Traditional works - I've started with the final pieces first... the craft of applique and reverse applique was used on these objects... I have great respect for these crafts and felt that the investigations into the molas of the Kuna peoples was a great place to start in terms of the choice of colour, culture, subject matter of each beautiful piece...

A few reference sites:

Anyway, to my examples. My objective was to create three dimensional 'reverse/appliqued' objects with a focus on the textures of each chosen 'fibre' - from tulle to chicken wire and paper...

1. Materials: rope, tulle, cotton and embroidery threads, woven mat, chicken wire
Observations: sewing tulle to rope is difficult using embroidery thread, so I sewed one stitch, then cut and tied the thread (black) - this created an interesting visual to the rope 'cone'. The rope was easier to sew into when wet. Tulle pulls into shape quite easily.

2. Materials: hat mesh, tulle, copper wiring, embroidery and cotton thread, and cut out papers (used in project 2, ex 2)
Observations: the hat mesh was brilliant, you can pull and fray it. the fragility of both the tulle and this mesh however caused it unravel itself, so I sewed in the red embroidery thread and copper wiring as a sort of reinforcement... great thing there is you can manipulate the shape of the tube, so I experimented with round, U shapes and others

3. Method: Moist wood bark, apholstery pieces, kebab sticks, chicken wire pieces, satin, leather, embroidery, cotton and copper thread.
Observations: Making the bark damp keeps it softer and easier to work with, bark and leather are very tough to sew through together, copper thread tends to 'twine' up. Chicken wire and kebab skewers good for keeping the overall shape.