Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Materiality - Detritus and decay

Following on from the materiality of bark - exploring its nature and form - I began to think about it's natural decay. From here, I found detritus was the key to space and form for me, not the bark specifically. i began to investigate forms found in everyday settings that would become part of an 'urban decay' - fallen leaves, dropped papers, decaying natural and unnatural objects, hornets nests etc.

I also experimented with how they may be recepticles for space and time, or vice verse... movement, reflection, shadow... change... all actions decay takes on:

ambient decay - reflection/refraction
natural decay - organs disintegrating
element change - soaked, dried, discarded papers etc.

I added some of these 'actions' to my detritus objects (leaves, bark, hornets nest, papers), such as movement, lighting, burning, hanging, preserving etc.

Preservation of detritus seemed like such a contradictory action, that I would base my further explorations on this.












I took a fair few photos against a lightbox, and even took a few of myself on there, which became a new area of investigation in terms of decay, space and form.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are great!

Unknown said...

I really like your blog, it looks very nice, I'm happy to visit again to see your blog because it's very good indeed, thank's for all. Regards, photography for dummies online really hope to be your friends