Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Woodcut_Linocut_2

So, to the challenges I set myself...

My rule of 8 hours of cut, print, cut print... let ink dry, cut, print etc. altered slightly - I am working larger than A5, but smaller than A4, so I have found I worked much quicker than I thought I would...

I decided to work on a few pieces at a time (equalling the 8 hours), to experiment a little with the same image, but with different outcomes... this meant that I stuck with the 8 hour time frame, but landed up with three woodblock/lino pieces by the end of the 8 hours.

I varied my line - found the U and V groove tools great, and with the cuts and blisters this evening, sort of feel pretty much ready to do another one...

OK, so I've been a bit literal with the next image, so here are my transformation of image...




















For this first woodcut 'transformation', I listened to music out of my comfort zone - noisier music - and I felt it was irritating rather than stimulating, so from the end of the second version, I just switched over to the radio...

The lino was an interesting change from the wood - lino slips more than wood when you're doing to pressing, so I found many of the prints came out as double images... actually, in some of the cases I thought it enhanced the subject matter, and just kept printing over the same piece, and basically using this to my advantage...

The balaclava came to mind often when I was working, so perhaps this is where I saw the masked image 'going'...

I've got one more part of my rules lists, and that's the experiment with colour... I started, but still have much to do.




















Time permitting, I'd like to have another go at a different image... but this is something I may have to come back to.


No comments: