Monday, January 10, 2011

Material and Conceptual Investigations_1



So, I'm back investigating materiality, tonality and this time I'm incorporating a textile/fiberArt form. First exercises, developing a Visual Dictionary and creating greyscale examples in any form.

This can be a fairly entertaining exercise - just make a grid and scan the house and garden, or whatever, for any piece of material with texture/of interest that has value. This exercise is meant to work as a referencing system, and as I went further on, I did find myself going back to the material dictionary for ideas....

OK, so yes, I had fun with this one... I am behind, I am feeling better (thanks all), and I am beginning to move from one mindset to the next subject... materials and their associations is really enjoyable!

The parts of the dictionary I enjoy the most: (below C3, C4, C5, D3, D4, D5, E3, E4, E5)

My favourite two swatches being C3 and C4:

C3 - natural lines, river beds, life meanderings, layers in nature, smells like freshly trodden earth (collection of leaves)

C4 - decay, hardened mood, darkened shapes, smells like brilliant turpentine (this is my old painting cloth)


















Below A5, A6, B5, B6

I enjoy the natural vs. man made in this close up....


No comments: