Materiality 2 - FINAL
Final Images -
1. Community I
2. Community II
6. Thoughts I
7. Contemplation and Balance
11. Front Window Treasures
This is where I decided to go with the final images - 'dislocation' or dissolution, the personal memory or experience, the personal experiences... and I'll see where they take me... my inspirations are Paul Pfieffer for his concept of mediation of time and image, Elaine Reicheck for her discussions in the "postcolonial discourse" (would this make me an Orientalist? I have African masks, Indian saris, Chinese teasets, Aboriginal and Japanese painting in my house...). Ann Hamilton's use of environment and senses, Magdalena Abakanowicz, and Do Ho Suh's concepts of crowd and 'belonging'...
Did a final scout of China Town for the installations and then went on Friday and did the final shoot in the rain - the rain landed up being a great visual interest. I used reflection and wetness wherever possible.
Time and Space with a focus on Change:dissolution of traditions
minority groups living abroad or dislocatoin of foreign peoples, "assimilation"
personal experiences of culture and individuality in societal structures
Other Time/Space Ideas:
1. Tradition (textilemuseum.org)
2. Deriving from nature (over time) or removal from nature (wolfgang laib).
2.b. Deriving from and transforming in nature (andy goldsworthy installations) - Kinetic sculpture/materiality, ephemeral art/installations
3. Building artwork's memory (vija clemins) over time
4. Building relationships with external world (ann hamilton, tim hawkinson, paul pfeiffer
5. Dissolution of relationships with objects or people over time (paul pfeiffer)
6. Changing of the context of matter (suggesting memory) over time, affecting meaning through time... transforming meaning and/or memory (lara splan and rachel whiteread)
7. Recorded time - historical, geographical, social, materials, tradition, context
These are ideas typed from my visual diary, so they don't make much sense yet, but I will keep thinking. I enjoyed the discussions and thoughts I had around my submission 1 pieces with people, so I've really used them as part of my moving forward...